Wednesday, February 13, 2019

Scrappy Strips

I started this scrap quilt in November with the intent of emptying out my bins of strips. 


I love the way it turned out. I started out following the pattern by Karen Griska called Saranac but tweaked it along the way. I substituted 4-patches for the 16-patches in the corners and long strips for the piano key border. It's twin bed size 68" x 88". 


The finished blocks are 10", the 4-patches are 3", and the strips are 1".


I had plenty of longer strips leftover from backings, sashings, etc. which I randomly used for the 1st outer border (left).  


And brown strips for the final outer border (right) that Susan gave me a while ago. Thanks, Susan!  

 

I spent the last 2-1/2 weeks painting our LR. It is now done! This room is in the 2nd oldest section of the house that was added on c. 1760. The original plaster walls are made of limestone, shells, and horse and/or cow hair. There's an original cupboard with cross and Bible doors (to ward off evil spirits), a fireplace with hand-made bricks, and a forged iron crane. That mirror was a wedding gift from Aunt Midge (my mother's sister) to my parents in 1936 :) 

Hope you have a great week!




__________
Copyright 2019, Barbara Schaffer

 

12 comments:

  1. What a beautiful room! And your quilt is fabulous. Are your scrap bins now empty or did this just create more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your living room is beautiful!
    That quilt is really fabulous too and looks like quite the scrap buster!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fabulous string quilt! I suspect it hardly made a dent in your scrap bins. Seems they can multiply overnight. Your living room looks wonderful. I love historic homes, used to live in an 1823 Federal style house with lots of additions on the back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And did you use all of the scraps? (That's a rhetorical question. :)) Love the living room. Our present house is the newest we've ever lived in (1972).

    ReplyDelete
  5. A wonderfully colored scrap bin quilt...like the contemporary and yet classical traditional look of it. Fresh paint in any room is always a “pick me up” feeling and I would imagine that along with the historical elements, you might have a sense of earlier occupants hovering near by.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have a beautiful home, filled with history and treasures. Your quilt is super fun with all those fabulous pieces. Did you meet the challenge of using up all your scraps? :0)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a beautiful quilt! A great way to use the scraps! I've put it on my list of quilts to make!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I stumbled onto your blog years ago because of your quilting and your love for textiles, but I especially look forward to You sharing bits of history, and genealogy. You know so much about past generations of your family and I love the pictures, letters and anecdotes you share. Thank you for the peek into your historical home! Now I see that your love of history includes living in a historical 'museum'. So fantastic! Maybe one day you can share your homes history. Did you restore it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your sweet comment. We've done a lot of work over the 48 years that we've lived in this house. I'll gladly share some of its history :)

      Delete
  9. I love everything about your scrappy quilt! This is my favorite kind of scrappy quilt to cuddle up with and study the fabrics. The strips on the borders are just great.
    What a pretty LR and how amazing that it has such neat historical appointments. Does your house have a historical status listing and number outside?

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great use of scrap strips. And I think I would prefer the four patch instead of a 16. Makes an interesting design with all the strips and a good scrap buster quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your quilt is gorgeous ! What a fantastic work....
    Your home is what I love...and I ask the same qustion than Barb : is there a year number outside please ? Because I've found the home of my great great and great grand-parent and I discovered onto the door the date 1710. I will send a picture... it's very touching !

    ReplyDelete