Wednesday, February 22, 2017

It's A Finish!

Westering Women quilt is done! I decided to name it Blazing A Trail aka Way West.


The first time I saw Barbara's creative Way West design for these blocks I knew that was the set for me. So unique and different! I'm really pleased with the way it turned out.


If you recall, this Block of the Month series ran from January-December last year. I used mostly Barbara's Alice's Scrapbag by Moda for the pieced blocks, and neutrals, pink, and browns from my stash for the large plain blocks and arrows. Barbie Vanderfleet-Martin quilted it for me. She knew right away what design would look best. And I agree! The batting is Hobbs 80/20 which I bought at Michaels with a 40% off coupon :)


 Here's a detail.


Another view.


The back. That brown stripe is the same one I used in Broken Dishes. I think I have finally exhausted my supply!


Another view.


And the binding, ta-da!


Guess what came in the mail the other day?? These vintage fabrics from blogging friend, Wendy The Constant Quilter.


I already made two filler blocks for Gypsy Wife. Thank you, Wendy, for sharing with me!


A daffodil sighting! After last week's snow storm and freezing rain and being without power for 5 hours, it's supposed to be near 70 deg. tomorrow. We've had lots of up-and-down temps this winter but I'm ready for spring whenever it arrives :)

Happy Quilting!




__________
Copyright 2017, Barbara Schaffer





12 comments:

  1. The setting for your "Blazing A Trail" is beautiful! ---"Love"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting! Barbara Brackman outdid herself when she designed this setting :) It was a fun quilt to put together!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on that wonderful quilt finish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a wondeful setting for the Western Women blocks and yours is beautiful. The quilting is lovely and was a great pick. Pieced backings always add a little extra interest and surprise. Hope those little daffodils don't come out too early!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What perfect fabrics from Wendy - She's the best. BTW are you coming to Seminar in NH this year? I'm working with the committee.
    Your finish of WW is so great. That setting really is interesting and unique and makes the most of the sampler blocks. Hooray!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is amazing to me how the mix of traditional blocks and a modern setting works so well together. And, you are right, the quilting design is perfect for it. Love the Gypsy Wife filer blocks. I just knew you would do something wonderful with those fabrics. And, daffodils???? Even with our high temps today we won't see them for weeks. Lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fabulous quilt. I do think that setting is special, great job on this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Terrific finish... love the block setting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the quilt. Did not take part in 2016, is there anyway I can get the pattern?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting! The block patterns are available online in Barbara Brackman's Etsy store. Do a search on her Civil War blog for the Way West set :)

      Delete