Wednesday, January 18, 2017

It's A Huswif!

Well, I fell for another project to make in Quiltmania--a Huswif!


There it is all folded up on the right :)


This is the page that caught my attention. I needed some lightweight cardboard to stiffen each section and found cracker and cereal boxes to be just the right thickness.


Folding and stitching narrow strips of fabric over 1/4" elastic was a challenge.


I chose this fabric for the back. 


I had just enough 1" twill tape to stitch in between the sections and tea-dyed it to make it look old. I also had some leftover binding which was the perfect color to finish the edges. When it was all together I filled it with some vintage sewing supplies.


The buttons are for decoration only. I had stitched a strip of selvage across the top even though the instructions called for grosgrain ribbon. In the pocket I put packets of needles and needle threaders. 


I filled the middle section with an antique needle case, scissors, sewing kit, and a needle book which belonged to my mother-in-law.  


The lower section has another needle book, thread wheel, hooks and eyes, and snaps to complete that vintage look :)


I'll keep it displayed on this dresser where I can see it every time I go to my sewing room :)

Happy Quilting! 




__________
Copyright 2017, Barbara Schaffer  



6 comments:

  1. I love it! I have never made anything in Quiltmania, but it looks like now I will. I love your fabric choices too. I don't know how you lined up the pockets with the backing fabric, but it matches perfectly! Fabulous job! And, I think you sewing room is entirely too neat. Wink! I love the dresser!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful vintage project to hold some of your vintage sewing items.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So lovely and a perfect display piece on your gorgeous antique dresser.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous! What a fun project. Reminds me of something Jill and i would have made. You have such a lovely collection of sewing notions too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love small projects like this - vintage appeal and a chance to feature some favourite fabrics. It's lovely!

    ReplyDelete