Sunday, September 14, 2014

A Productive Week

I was really on a roll this week sewing to my heart's content :)



I liked Lori at Humble Quilts idea of adding another star to the Flags of the American Revolution quilt. Now there are 13 stars instead of 12, one for each of the original thirteen colonies. The one I added is in the large space beneath the eagle's tail feathers.


I cut out all the excess fabric behind all the appliques. I'm trying to keep up with the challenge of making four flags with appliqued trees by the end of the month. I've done three so far. 


I finally finished hand-quilting this little Chimney Sweep.  


I'm pleased with the way it turned out.


The fabric on the back is a George Washington toile. Normally I use a small-scale print for the binding but this time I used a medium-size leafy print. The color was right and it seemed to work.


I finally got to try out my new walking foot which I ordered in May and received last month. I am a hand quilter not a machine quilter though I must admit I occasionally have the desire to finish some projects a little faster than the time it takes to quilt by hand.


So. . . I machine quilted this little piece on Friday. I kept it really simple by quilting in the ditches of the stripes, squares in the star field and X's in the border. 

The back is a patriotic fabric which my friend Rachel gave me. Thanks, Rachel!


I'd been wanting to make this little quilt for a long time. So I made it! The original in Childhood Treasures by Merikay Waldvogel is not quilted but I will quilt mine. I just love the combination of ginghams, pinks and small prints all set with a large print border. It makes me smile :)


__________
Copyright 2014, Barbara Schaffer




 

8 comments:

  1. I like the idea of the additional star. And I like the red fabric you used.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like where you put the extra star. I'm participating in this quilt also. I'm really enjoying it so far. I'm looking forward to seeing everyone's trees at the end of the month. It's fun seeing all the fabric choices.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your eagle block looks great. I adore the new little dolly quilt. That is my favorite doll/small quilt book.
    Your flag quilt turned out great. Machine quilting is wonderful for completing more projects!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YOur eagle block looks wonderful. I have a fondness for flag quilts, love yours we all have to machine quilt a few of them! oh I love this quilt I have made this one before but gave it away you have inspired me to make another one for me to keep. now to see if I have a great border fabric….
    Kathie in NJ

    ReplyDelete
  5. Where did you get that George Washington toile fabric? Love what you did with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I've had it for more than 12 years. It belonged to a good friend :)

      Delete
    2. Would you ever consider selling it?

      Delete
    3. Can you email me privately? Thanks!

      Delete