Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Pennies and Holiday Spirit

I went to Barnes & Noble the other day intending to buy the latest issue of Quiltmania (which they didn't have) and came home with their Fall Issue of Simply Vintage instead.


The article on making a Penny Rug caught my eye because years ago (probably 20!) I started making wool pennies with the intention of embellishing simple hst wool blocks. 


Well, what do you know?? I had forgotten I made as many as I did back then when I was in my "wool phase." These pennies are 3" vs 2" as suggested in the project instructions so I only had to cut a few more to make this layout complete. I even had a piece of green wool for the background. Now all I have to do is start sewing them in place.


The instructions call for mattress ticking for the back but I think I'll use this chintz decorator fabric instead.  Wow! Instant project :)

_____



This past Sunday the Livingston Historical Society held its annual Christmas Tea at the Force Home which is one of Livingston's oldest homes built c. 1745. 


The small building behind the Force Home is the Cook House which was moved to its present location in 1964 to make way for the "new" Livingston Mall. Both the Cook House and the Force Home are on the State and National Registers of Historic Sites and Places.



Every year members of the Historical Society string popcorn and cranberries for the tree which you can see here in the front parlor. 


And this is the fireplace in that same room all decorated with fresh greens and lemons. 



More holiday decorations on the mantel in the dining room. How festive!


The original walk-in fireplace is in the main room of the house where hot mulled cider and Christmas goodies were spread out on a large table for all to enjoy.


There are a total of four fireplaces in the house including two in the upstairs bedrooms. 


This is actually my favorite room. I love this color blue and the calimanco spread on the bed. There's a chintz quilt top on the rocker in the corner that I'd like to take pictures of someday :)


A Double Irish Chain quilt was in a cradle in the museum room. It has quilted designs in the plain blocks but I couldn't make out what they were.

Finally, my Morris Hexies are on Barbara B's blog this week :) Hop on over to see more.  




__________
Copyright 2016, Barbara Schaffer



5 comments:

  1. The pennies look fantastic and did end up being a quick project. Hahaha. Your Morris hexies looked lovely on Barbara's website. That large print really makes it look awesome. What a delightful house to visit especially decorated for the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's well deserved to be on Barbara's website ! Your top is fabulous !
    This house too ! What a beautiful decoration !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh what fun! I love early 19th century Christmas decorating. Thanks for sharing. I love your pennies too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great historical home. Thanks for taking us along.
    Every year I visit a special Christmas event and mine is tomorrow - yea!
    I got a great show deal from Quiltmanina and have been getting that magazine. It is a great look book.
    Lovely wool pennies! Of to see BB post

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love visiting historical places during the holidays! Love your wool penny rug.

    ReplyDelete