Sunday, September 11, 2011

September 11th and "Pride In America" Quilt

Memories of events following 9-11-2001 are recorded in my photo albums. Some pages follow.


On September 23, 2001 my husband and I went to the "Remembrance & Reflections" ceremony at Liberty State Park. No backpacks, coolers, duffle bags or other packages were allowed. A rose was handed to everyone at the end of the ceremony upon exiting the park.


On December 3rd my daughter and I took the commuter ferry from Liberty State Park in NJ to Battery Park in NY. It was a beautiful warm day with temps in the 70s. Who ever heard of flowers blooming in December--in NY? There they were--Black-eyed Susans--to me a sign of hope : )  The photo at the bottom is of a make-shift memorial of stuffed animals.

 

From the time my son called on the day of the attack about "an explosion" at the World Trade Center to thoughts of making plans to evacuate our house, if necessary, much happened between 2001 and 2002.


The Anthrax scare and emails that circulated about Osama Bin Laden. Photos from Eagle Rock Reservation, West Orange, NJ.



The "Pride in America" quilt I assembled from blocks made by members of the Recreation Majors Club at Montclair State University. The project was initiated by my husband who was teaching at MSU.


A detail of several blocks made by students.


The page in my album of the front, back, and label of "Pride in America."


A visit to the 9-11 memorial at Eagle Rock Reservation in 2003.


2003 Healing Field in Livingston, NJ.


3,412 American Flags--one for every person who was killed in 2001.


In August 2004 there was another terror threat and the entrance to the Prudential complex behind our house was barricaded.


The 9-11 monuments in Highlands, NJ, 2006.


One of the monuments, Highlands, NJ.


The 9-11 memorial Livingston, NJ.


Description of the sundial.


There will be a ceremony here tonight at 7 p.m. I'll be there.

1 comment:

  1. what a beautiful memorial park and statue. Great record of events! Your quilt offered student to express themselves creatively after the single worst day in America.

    ReplyDelete