Thursday, July 9, 2020

Summer Stuff and New Quilt

The weather has been glorious this past week. Warm sunny days and cool nights--perfect for a good night's sleep :)


There have been some pretty amazing sunsets, too!  


This little squirrel is a regular evening visitor who scampers along the railing before leaping onto a branch of the apple tree.
 

He's not the least bit afraid and gives us a chance to watch him up close. So cute!

More wildflowers . . .

 Blackberry 

 Bladder Campion

 Deptford Pink

St. Johnswort

Black-eyed Susan

Purple-flowering Raspberry 

And a New Quilt!  


On a whim I started a new scrap quilt after I saw Interweave by Karen Griska on Etsy. I don't have many bright-colored fabrics but do have lots of repros and other misc pieces sitting around so I started cutting strips 2" and 2-1/2" wide by 20" long. After piecing and cutting and piecing and cutting this is what it looks  like.


I'm just now starting the second row of panels and because I don't have my design wall up yet here they are on the floor. I hope to make this a twin size quilt and may just add strips all around to bring it out to size. That's my current thought anyway :)

Hope you are having a fantastic summer!

See you next week with more Deacon Blocks. 




__________
Copyright 2020, Barbara Schaffer

 

9 comments:

  1. What great photos Barbara. Where do you live? It looks a lot like where my daughter is - Freedom, NH. She lives very close to a beautiful river and has mountain views. So peaceful. Jan in MA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your sunsets are indeed beautiful! What river does your home overlook? Your new quilt looks perfect for a mountain cabin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Always fun to strike off in a new direction with scraps! It will be a comfy fit for your cabin. I am way overdue to make another scrap quilt - but right now my stash is super disorganized & it feels overwhelming to start. Goes with the new crop of weeds that have arrived during our very hot, humid and rainy July. Where to start??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh what a super new quilt. Love all those scraps! I hope you continue to have great weather. It was so muggy here this morning, my fingers were sticking to my needles! I have never seen a purple flowering raspberry. Is the berry a different color too?

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a great pattern. I've been looking for something different. I'll check it out. You're off in a fun repro direction

    ReplyDelete
  6. You live in a beautiful place--the sunset over the water, the greenery, the flowers! So peaceful looking.
    That is a fun scrap quilt. Don't think I have seen anything like it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a cute little squirrel friend. Love your porch - so North Woods Style.
    great new quilt. Great way use scraps and have an interesting pattern.
    thanks for the wildflower identification! Love that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really enjoy wildflowers!! Cute little squirrel. What an amazing view you have!!
    Always so fun to start a new quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh it just looks heavenly where you are! Beautiful flowers. That's a really neat pattern - with the woven look - for scraps (or I guess strips).

    ReplyDelete