Saturday, March 28, 2020

Three M's: March Mini and Moving

If you've been wondering about my lack of weekly postings it's because we're in the process of moving. But just before the craziness began I made a super simple mini for March.


Last fall our guild had provided the light-colored fabric and asked members to make a 9" block of their choosing to be included in a charity quilt. I made the block but never got to a meeting so in no time at all it became my March mini.  


The back with the last of the polka dots from my 1965 blouse :)

 

Normally I hem the binding by hand on the back but this time I machine-stitched it from the front and here's what it looked like. Not bad at all.      


And instead of making a label I wrote right on the fabric. I think this was the fastest mini ever! Maybe a couple of hours at most. 

I know Wendy will be posting hers soon with links to more so check them all out.


We sold our house in December with a June closing and are moving to our cabin. My daughter and her husband came down last weekend to load up a truck with a few small pieces of furniture plus boxes of clothes, books, quilts, genealogy files, etc., etc. 


The day after we arrived it snowed but it was gone in no time at all!


I've spent this week unpacking and finding places for all the things I brought with me. My new sewing space is in the loft where I can look out over the river and day dream :)



I've not only fully utilized this space but expanded to other rooms as well. 
Nearly all of my quilts are stored in archival boxes under beds and my fabric is in a closet. Quilt and genealogy files are in the basement in file cabinets. So far so good!

I hope to have some time today to work on my Deacon blocks :)

Thinking of you all during these uncertain times. Please take care.




__________
Copyright 2020, Barbara Schaffer
 

13 comments:

  1. What a beautiful sewing room you will have! ---"Love"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Barbara, it is fantastic! I cannot believe that you even made on in all that you are going through right now. I will link it in to my Tuesday post. I adore your new quilting space. I'm not sure I would be very productive with all that beauty outside my window. Enjoy your new world and stay safe and healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Barbara you have the most gorgeous view from your balcony! Love your March mini. A wonderful re-purpose. Stay care. ;^)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is a gorgeous view no matter the season! For some reason your comments no longer come to my email. Thanks for stopping by and you take care, too!

      Delete
  4. How exciting to move into that beautiful space! Your mini is simple and delightful. The fabrics definitely pull their weight in this sweet quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You made good use of that block--it made a very happy little quilt.
    How far from your former home is the cabin? You have a gorgeous view. You have made good use of your sewing space. My "stuff" has spilled into other rooms as well. It can't be helped, can it? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cabin is 5 hours from NJ to NY State. It took me awhile to figure out where I was going to put my sewing room until my daughter suggested the loft which worked out fine. Hope all is well at your house :)

      Delete
  6. Your March Mini is simply wild with at crazy zig zag border and your wonderful blouse fabric on the back. Moving is never easy, but you have made it look so easy ! LOL. Glad you're settled into your new sewing area. I think you're going to enjoy that space every day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like a nice sewing space! Want to see your view out the windows soon. Being in isolation here, we all need to see other things than what we see around us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun mini - looks like a missoni print to me!
    Your space for sewing at the cabin in wonderful. How nice will it be to be moved in and enjoying the woods and river full time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh your cabin looks idyllic. Love the natural wood. What a great sewing space!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jealous of your sewing space. Also understand the utilization of other spaces. *smile*

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you! So glad you stopped by. It's easy to spread into other spaces!

    ReplyDelete