Wednesday, July 10, 2019

Money Cakes and a Hike

My twin grandchildren turned 16 on Monday. So . . . 


. . . my daughter (their aunt) and I decided to make money cakes for their birthday. First I went to Michaels and loaded up on supplies.


Then we spent several hours rolling and pinning bills to styrofoam bases and decorating layers with flowers and a patriotic garland. 

 

We used 56 assorted $1, $5 and $10 bills for each cake and evenly divided them so they fit into pre-marked quarter sections of each layer. What a system, lol! 


A $50 bill (Grandpa's contribution) and a firecracker were at the top of each one.

 

And it didn't take long for the cakes to look like this!

__________
On another note . . . 



My daughter and I went for an early morning hike. 


It was a little chilly when we started out . . .


. . . but once we were at the top we warmed up with some hot tea :)


This Tall Meadow Rue was one of only a few wildflowers we saw on the trail. 

Have a great week!




__________
Copyright 2019, Barbara Schaffer 

10 comments:

  1. What a fun idea! I'll bet they were thrilled! The sweeping views on your hike are magnificent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea for a teenagers birthday cake. Mine too for that matter!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What fun for those lucky teenagers! So very creative, and they turned out beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those cakes are so much fun! Lucky recipients. :)
    What a beautiful view from your hike!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are pretty exciting cakes! I bet they will never forget that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. great idea! I've never seen or heard of this but I LOVE it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the money cakes!! I've never heard of it but looks so much fun!!
    The hike photos are so pretty!! I love taking photos of the blooming wild flowers. Love meadow rue!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The money cakes are very fun !! Lucky twins !
    Thank you for sharing these beautiful pictures of your hike ! Those mountains are beautiful !

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just found your blog and have to thank you for the information you provide on your inking experience. I'm just beginning to go through your adventure from last year and want to do some ink blocks. This is great and I look forward to making a treasure of my own. THANKS
    Annmarie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you stopped by. Enjoy your inking journey!

      Delete