Wednesday, November 21, 2018

Antebellum 10, Katharina Magnah, DD and Strips

It feels so good to be on a roll! Here's what I've been working on: Antebellum #10 Carolina Lily, three more Dear Daughter appliques, and lots of strip scrap blocks :)


I must admit I was a little doubtful that all the seams would fall into place when making this block especially when it came time to sew the two halves together--but they did! It was almost like magic. Thank you, Barbara B. :)


The original inking that I copied.


I dedicated this block to my maternal 2nd gr-grandmother, Katharina Magnah, spouse of last month's Johan Strubbe. She had 10 children between 1843 and 1864 in Harpenfeld, Germany. Eight emigrated to the U.S. where I was able to follow them in the census records and newspapers as they all lived in NYC.


Three--Heinrich Friederich Strubbe (1847-1889), Caspar H. Strubbe (1843-1902), and Ernst Heinrich August Strubbe (1864-1932)--are buried in the Strubbe family plot in Hoboken Cemetery, Hoboken, NJ, along with their brother (my gr-grandfather) William.


I love appliqueing these little Dear Daughter blocks. The original of this one was made by Veisiah Titsworth, Piscataway, NJ 1852. . .


. . . this one by Rachel Dunham, Plainfield, NJ 1852. . .


. . . and this was signed by Catherine R. Dunham and Abraham Dunham May 1852.  What a fun quirky block!


Some of these scraps are really old so it's like working with a new-found treasure! So easy and fun!   


Turkey Red and Prussian Blue :) Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!





__________
Copyright 2018, Barbara Schaffer

5 comments:

  1. What a wonderful log cabin design. And those applique blocks are amazing! Loving the look!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your applique is truly lovely!
    And I love that scrap block! What a fun look!
    Oh, that turkey looks puffed up--personifies the word "strut" to me. :)
    Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great work Barbara! They look beautiful. How do you do your inking?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those seams came together perfectly wow! Love your little DD blocks. Red and Green is always so wonderful. I haven't done one yet - I've always added pink and black or something. You little log cabins reminds me of me and jills 4-patch LC. Love the chevron setting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. p.s. that inking is gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete