Florence made Playmates in 1951 from her collection of scraps of conversational prints. The center was a panel depicting cats and the corner fabric featured dogs.
In the late '90s Natalie began cutting and sewing small squares together with the intention of reproducing Florence's quilt.
When pieces of Natalie's quilt along with some of her fabrics were passed on to me I came up with this version of Florence's quilt in 2012. But it didn't look anything like what I envisioned it to be! Why I added 2 strips of watermelons I'll never know, the side borders just didn't look right, and the stripe at the top and bottom was just wrong! So the quilt sat for 5 more years until I finally decided to tackle it one more time--in 2017.
The first thing I did was get rid of the watermelons and remove all the borders. I appliqued the stripe that was once at the top and bottom of the quilt over the melon strips hiding them forever, lol! (I cut them out.)
Oh, in case you're wondering what the fabric is in the center, it's this one from the millennium.
Anyway, I recut the borders to focus on just the light section. I've always liked this Peter Pan fabric :)
Since I didn't have anything close to the cute dogs Florence put in the corners of her quilt I added castles which I cut from a panel in Natalie's stash.
Ta-da! I finished the top this morning! I bought the striped border fabric on Hancock's a while ago and it ended up being just what I needed for this quilt.
So this time around I'm pleased with the result. I even have the backing ready to go but it's a little short so will cut and sew a strip across the center to add some length.
Have a great week!
Copyright 2018, Barbara Schaffer