Wednesday, August 23, 2017

#11 Top Done and Sunrays

It's been a 14-year journey to finish the top of my Philadelphia Pavement UFO. It's #11 on my '17 in 2017' list.

 

It all began in 2003 when I saw this quilt in House Beautiful magazine.    

 


I couldn't wait to get started. I made the first two blocks following the colors in the picture. 





Then made three more and lost interest. Surprisingly (haha!) the blocks varied slightly in size so I couldn't sew them edge to edge.



I thought about laying them out on point but couldn't bring myself to fill in the empty spaces with more squares. What to do?? Nothing! Nada! Zip!


But then two weeks ago it all started to come together. I chose the blocks that were closest in size and used leftover squares for the sashing and corner blocks. 


I love this border fabric. It's Windham's Wm. Penn's Vision#25506. It was just the right shade of blue plus it added some movement. So now that the top is finally finished I will add it to my quilting pile :)

 

I couldn't resist this photo op the other morning when it was a little foggy and the sun's rays were coming through the trees :) 

Have a great week!




__________
Copyright 2017, Barbara Schaffer


9 comments:

  1. Nice resolution. Love that border fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woohoo! I think the bedroom scene is very soft and inviting, but I must say I like your quilt much better. I love how that border fabric moves. It is the perfect thing! You have a great eye for putting things together. Congratulations on #11.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how you worked through that problem of what to do with those few blocks. We need to remember it's okay to change direction and finish it in a new way. Love the border fabric too. Now you don't have to feel guilty about those lingering blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a great solution. Isn't it funny how a quilt really speaks to us then we lose that excitement? I have experienced this several times myself. I LOVE that border fabric too - it is such a good one!!
    pretty morning photos you really captioned the sun's magic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. p.s. that is a beautiful magazine photo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember.... Love the finished top!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rachel! What were we into back then??

      Delete
  7. Nice work! That border fabric sets the blocks off nicely!

    ReplyDelete