Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Ice Castle and Thrift Shop Finds

It was pretty cold when we went to see the Ice Castle in Saranac Lake, NY this past weekend but plenty warm at the local Thrift Shop :)


Every year huge chunks of ice are cut from Flower Lake and hauled up on land to build the ice castle for the winter carnival.


Believe it or not the weather was quite warm the week before and the castle began to melt. 


This year's theme is Superheroes and Villains and the Batmobile drew lots of attention.


Inside are the thrones for the king and queen of the parade. I was advised not to sit, lol!


At the thrift shop I always head straight for the sewing/needlework section. I found this great bark cloth table runner for 50-cents.

 
  
And a small square tablecloth for $1.00. How modern-looking!

 

As I turned the corner this apron was just waiting for me :) It had a few stains but when we got back home . . . 

 

 . . . I put it in a pot of warm water with some Vintage Textile Soak and it did wonders. I just ordered more from Amazon. 


My last stop was the book section where I found this 1985 edition of American Hooked and Sewn Rugs. It seemed apropros as I had begun to work on my new little hooked rug while we were away.

 

We are babysitting our granddog this week. He put his stuffed toy on the couch, put his head on it, and fell fast asleep :)
____________
Copyright 2016, Barbara Schaffer


4 comments:

  1. These ice constructions are incredible ! We have the same types of sculpture in ski resorts ! That's amazing !
    Lovely apron for you ! One more for your collection ! And I asked myself : 2 dogs or just one ? Ah ! Ah ! Animals are like babies no ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The ice chunks stacked up makes a beautiful color. The vintage soak is a wonderful product for removing those vintage stains. What great finds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a cute granddog. The Ice castle is incredible. I'd love to see that one day.
    great thrift store finds! I also head for the fabrics/craft section.
    that apron is SO AWESOME!!! Please wear it for a sewing day lunch ;)

    ReplyDelete