Sunday, June 14, 2015

The Story of My S.O.S. Quilt

Do you remember when I posted an S.O.S. for some Wm. Penn's Vision border fabric to finish a quilt?  

 

Well, I just finished the top and want to extend a BIG THANK YOU to Barb, Florence and Susan for coming to my rescue.

 

The 1828 Sawtooth Star quilt in NJ Quilts was on my to-do list for a long time but had been on the back burner because it was so fabric dependent. Then Barb offered to send me two fabrics that she used when making her version of the same quilt. Perfect! The fabrics belonged to quilting friend Jill Reid who passed away last year.  See Barb's quilt here in the header of her blog. 

 

Like Barb, I pieced both fabrics together for the setting squares: Florrie's Favorites--A Florence Peto Collection by Froncie Quinn on the left (how apropos!); and Sturbridge Village Scarlet by Judie Rothermel for Marcus Brothers on the right.   

   
When the stars and setting squares were all sewn together . . .

 

. . . I kept going back to this vintage border piece that I purchased many years ago at our local Historical Society Fair. Look familiar???  

  
About 5 years ago I couldn't resist buying two strips of Windham's grapevine border at a PA quilt show. Needless to say I only had enough for 2 sides of my quilt, thus, my S.O.S.!

It just so happens that Florence in CA sent me a strip she no longer needed. As it turns out I had taken photos of a quilt she made for the 2010 AQSG Stars quilt study so I sent her my pics. 

Then Susan responded to my SOS on Barb's blog. We got together at our local guild meeting and I was surprised! thrilled! ecstatic! to receive a bundle of fabrics that also belonged to Jill including the border fabric. 

THANK YOU to everyone who responded. I appreciate your willingness to share :)

Happy Quilting!



__________
Copyright 2015, Barbara Schaffer




No comments:

Post a Comment