Friday, November 22, 2013

10,000 Photos Plus!

I am a huge fan of FindAGrave.com. I just LOVE that site. I've been a contributor for exactly six years and just reached my goal of having posted over 10,000 photos in addition to the more than 8900 memorial pages I've created over the years. I guess you could say I'm obsessed--or addicted :). There are 40 cemeteries on my list that I've contributed to plus 26 virtual cemeteries in categories I've created to keep track of certain gravestones such as Adirondack-style, Cause of Death, Humorous, Plots, Occupations, Winged Soul Effigy, etc., plus all military from the Revolutionary War to Vietnam. Below are some of my faves.


Rolling hills with gravestones as far as the eye can see near Lawrence, MA.


An early marker in Old Wawarsing Cemetery, Wawarsing, NY.

C. LOW
G.S.V. DE
20 FEB
1746/7


This Adirondack-style gravestone with its wilderness and wildlife scene in color is in Haselton Cemetery, Wilmington, NY.


You can read about John Tagliabue here. He is buried in Albany Rural Cemetery, Menands, NY.

Tagliabue
John (Poet)
July 1, 1923 - May 31, 2006
Grace Ten Eyck
Aug. 14, 1922

First Presbyterian Church of Hanover, E. Hanover, NJ

The Dust of Ann Dyre is an interesting epitaph, unlike the more common "Here lies the body of. . " 

 The
Dust
of
Anne Dyre
Former wife of
Isaac Alling
who died
Jan'y 1st 1823
Aged 37 years 10 mo's and 23 days

 Northfield Baptist Cemetery, Livingston, NJ

A fancy gate and a simple plot.

Lewis M. Burnet
Sept. 5, 1817
Sept. 11, 1893
Resting
Catherine B. Ward
His Wife
July 15, 1826
Nov. 16, 1903
At Rest


1891
L.M. Burnet

First Presbyterian Church of Hanover, E. Hanover, NJ

Sometimes the inscription includes the cause of death.

In Memory of
Benjamine Green
who fell a victim
To the Yellow Fever
Aug't 30th 1803
Aged 37 Y'rs 7 mo.s & 27 d'ys

Haselton Cemetery, Wilmington, NY. 

Every once in a while I'll come across a gravestone that makes me chuckle, like this one did: "There Goes My Everything."  

 Hanover Cemetery, E. Hanover, NJ

When I create a veteran's memorial page on FindAGrave I leave a note thanking him (or her) for his  service. 

Alfred Freeman Kitchell
Born
Jan. 20, 1843
Killed at Battle of
Antietam
Sept. 17, 1862
-----
Theodore Ward Kitchell
Born
April 13, 1840
Died
March 6, 1898
-----
SOLDIERS IN OUR Civil War

First Presbyterian Church of Hanover, E. Hanover, NJ

A great example of a carver's artistry. 
Here lies the Body of
Hannah Wife of
Nathan Tichenor She
Departed this Life [Decr
28 1776 In the 27th 
year of her age]


The Sayre monument in Hanover Cemetery, Hanover, NJ is the tallest I've seen.

Erected 1880

Restland Memorial Park, E. Hanover, NJ

A thought-provoking marker. She was only 15 years old . . .

Aloha
Joyce
7,454,335 Minutes
5,438 Days 17 Hours 40 Minutes
And Holding
Not One Bad Minute
Start: 5:38 P.M. 10-16-66 End: 11:20 P.M. 9-6-81



My friend Rachel sent me this link. Hope you enjoy:





__________
Copyright 2013, Barbara Schaffer



No comments:

Post a Comment