Saturday, August 6, 2011

It Only Took 32 Years . . .

When I first saw the "Geometric" quilt in the 1979 Quilt Engagement Calendar, I knew I had to make one just like it. The only problem was there were no reproduction fabrics available in the late 1970s so I just used scraps that I had on hand. But if I made that same quilt today I would be matching each and every fabric to the original. I started the quilt in 1979 and finished it just the other day but there were MANY years in between where it sat in a closet. Finally, in March of this year I had the urge to take it out and finish it. I had a free weekend to devote to re-basting and start quilting again. It took 4 months to quilt and another few weeks to get the binding sewn on. This quilt is pieced entirely by hand and is hand-quilted--it's 85" x 92", queen size.

With these bright colors, it has a very different look and feel compared to the original which was dated c. 1870.  
A hundred years from now quilt historians will have a lot of fun looking at all these fabrics!

 A detail of the corner where the rows come together.
This is the back of the quilt. Don't you love the color combination--red, blue, and pink??
And here is the mock-up of the back that I did on graph paper a long time ago.
A close-up of the center of the star on the back.

When I had finished sewing on a label, I threw the quilt in the washing machine and dryer and, yes it was dirty from all those years of just "sitting."  But I'm encouraged. There's still hope I will someday finish my other UFOs. 













No comments:

Post a Comment